Friday, August 19, 2011

What a Week! Adopters Beware...

It's been a crazy week at this crazy cat household. On Sunday I adopted Theodore from a no-kill group. What I realized very quickly was that they didn't know squat about my baby boy. No history, nada! It then dawned on me what I had really gotten myself into - doing a total vet checkup including tests and vaccines. $$$ Cost a pretty penny, but it was necessary to keep my cats safe.

Here's the breakdown if you're curious:
- 3 sets of vaccines (3 weeks apart)
- FeLV/FIV test
- Fecal test (for worms)
- Neutering (at 6 months)
~$200-$300

Doesn't look like much, but it racks up quite a bill! Not to mention my little Theo has an ear infection, so I had to get his ears cleaned, do a test, and buy the medicine.

I'm not complaining. He's 100% worth it. A bundle of joy I am fortunate to have in my life. I just want to share my experience with other cat lovers so they mentally prepare themselves before making the adoption commitment.

It pays to do your research and adopt from a group that has their files in order. Not that I have anything against the group I adopted from. I know they mean well and have their hearts in the right place. It's just a sad reality that charities like them end up biting off more than they can chew and overlooking the reality that the person adopting may not know what they're getting into.

Lucky for me, Theo's test results were all negative. Now we can focus on integrating him into our loving cat family. Purrs!

No comments:

Post a Comment